Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Canada's New Track and Field League

Starting this Saturday, June 14, there will finally be a Canadian track league.  I don't know a great deal about it but it appears to have been announced by Athletics Canada,  which I gather is a type of federal (?) government-involved agency which plays a role analogous to the old AAU of our day.    To run in Saskatchewan I had to join the AAU in the sixties, the days of strongly enforced amateurism.  You  all know  the story--shamateurism followed and today every government and many corporations try to visibly support their athletes.  The new league will actually give prize money for selected events, up to $800 for first place.  By the way I heard Carleton U. finally got a track team, too.  I hope these are signs of great things to come across Canada, especially for those of you who have children or grandchildren who might have  a serious interest in track in Canadian communities or universities. Click on:  Canada Gets New Track and Field League .  If you get the suggestive banner, please ignore it.  These things are hard to avoid today,
   Incidentally I dug this out by drilling down from the on-line version of Track and Field News.  T and FN are in a state of rapid tech media change so it can be a bit confusing, but they like to sell memberships and they have pretty deliberately phased out print as much as they can by pricing it very high.  I would still recommend them but you really have to keep a sharp eye out for anything in Canadian track;  if you arenèt comfortable with computers (really is anyone over 21É--see it heard me!--), I think the best bet is the CBC or CTV on television.
--Dick DuWors

No comments:

Post a Comment